Sports multimedia journalist (Springfield, Missouri)
The Ozarks Sports Zone team at KSPR/KY3 in Springfield, MO is looking for an innovative, motivated, creative and passionate sports MMJ. This person is responsible for leading our sports reporting during the week and on Saturdays. Must be a self-starter with the ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines in a hyper-local sports department. This is not an entry level position. We are looking for someone with at least two years’ experience at a television station as a sports MMJ. Must be able to create sharable, memorable and quality content for television, web, social media and mobile. The successful candidate will be able to generate his or her own sports story ideas and go beyond scores and highlights to feature personalized behind-the-scenes sports stories. This person will have great storytelling skills and be a strong writer. Must be able to go live during all types of sporting events. Must be willing to work a very flexible schedule depending on games and sporting events. The O-zone Sports Department is a four-person web and on-air staff whose members have, in recent years, won three Emmy’s, three regional Edward R. Murrows, and numerous Missouri Broadcasters Association and Kansas City Press Club awards.
• Research, gather, shoot, write, edit and report sports stories for on-air and online in the most accurate, appealing, timely and creative way using all sources.
• Must be a visual storyteller; perform creative stand-ups and explanatory, moving live shots.
• Report "live" on the scene, especially during live sporting events and breaking sports coverage.
• Develop and maintain sources of sports information and knowledge about assignments.
• Demonstrate sound news/sports judgment, collaborate with others to present the story in the best way.
• Be able to ad-lib during any breaking sports event and lead the effort in getting the latest breaking sports into the newscast immediately.
• Must be able to utilize non-linear editing equipment on a daily basis.
• Participate in story selection process through meetings, daily contribution of lead sports stories.
• Attend/host/speak at community service, schools and community events; meet and great viewers.
• Post and regularly update stories and other material on the web and social media, usually remotely. Be able to daily interact with viewers in person and on the web.
• Communicate with the producers, sports anchor and other appropriate staff members throughout your shift. Must be able to work as part of a team.
• Follow clothing and appearance guidelines.
• Evenings, weekends, morning and holidays will be required.
• Be willing to learn or possess a broad and working knowledge of the viewing area, including people, places, things and history.
• Use knowledge of appropriate lighting to enhance overall news presentation.
• Critique, feedback, and training are part of the job.
• Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
Qualifications and requirements
• Be able to write in a clear, concise, conversational manner
• Possess excellent interview and conversational writing skills
• Excellent live reporting skills and strong on-camera presentation skills
• Basic computer knowledge, including newsroom software (such as ENPS), Microsoft applications and Internet use
• Ability to carry, shoot, and edit video with digital cameras
• Able to produce and post content to our websites
• Intermediate knowledge of social media
• Able to work independently with limited supervision
• Strong initiative and attention to detail
• Demonstrate solid news judgment and journalist ethics
• Maintain professional and ethical conduct at the station and in the community
• Ability to maintain a positive work atmosphere by behaving in a manner that will mesh well with co-workers, supervisors and viewers
• Strong research skills, including the ability to navigate online search engines
• Must stay current with national and local sports, know what is going on in the community
• Requires sitting 40 percent of the time and standing or walking 60 percent of the time, and some driving
• Requires heavy lifting of equipment, up to 40 lbs
• Outdoor work in all weather conditions is to be expected in this position
• While performing the duties of this position the employee is required to stand, walk, talk, hear, use hands and fingers, reach, grab, handle or feel, stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl, regularly sit, talk and hear
• Nights, weekends and holidays will be required. Schedule changes should be expected.
• Local and regional travel is required
• Must hold a valid Missouri's driver's license and be insurable
Send your application, resume and link to your latest resume tape to:
999 W. Sunshine
Springfield, MO 65807