Completing your degree at the School of Journalism and Mass Communications
Completing your degree at the School of Journalism and Mass Communications – Marketing Communications.
The final step to complete your Master of Science in Journalism degree is to fill out and submit a series of forms. As a student enrolled in Journalism 850 (Edwards Campus students only), you are completing a group or an individual project. Whether you are completing a group or an individual project, you must submit each of the following forms and email to Jammie Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- KU J-School Professional Master’s Project Tracking Form (pdf): Fill out this form early in the semester you plan to finish your project, no later than March 15.
- ETD Submission Form (pdf): Each person in the group must fill out this form.
- KU ScholarWorks Submission Form: One designated person from each group must submit this form along with a PDF of their approved Capstone project.
- Student Project Release Form: One designated person from each group must submit this form with the appropriate signatures.
- Graduate Program Graduation Survey: Each person in the group must fill out this form.
*Forms 2-5 are due the last day of classes. Upon receipt of the forms, Jammie Johnson will submit the project to KU ScholarWorks.
Final General Exam and Defense
Each student must pass a final general examination before graduating. This examination is part of the Capstone project presentation and defense. In your final semester, schedule and complete your Capstone presentation with your committee chair. Notify the Journalism School's Graduate Office of these dates. Deadlines for scheduling the defense can be found on the Web site under Academic Deadlines.
“Apply to Graduate” Form
Apply to Graduate on-line by the deadline date set by the University Registrar’s Office. Apply to Graduate by logging in to the KYou Portal and selecting the Academics tab. Then under Academic Resources, click Apply to Graduate and follow instructions.
If you have questions or experience problems, contact the University Registrar’s Office at 785- 864-5128.
If you filed an application in an earlier semester but did not graduate, you must file a new form with correct, up-to-date information. J-School Recognition Events The School hosts a graduation recognition event in May each year. The recognition ceremony requires academic regalia. Tickets are not required. Information will be posted on the School’s web site in late April.